Kiddos 2014

Kiddos 2014

Friday, December 25, 2015

Northrop News 2015


Dear Family and Friends,
Every year, I debate about whether or not to write a letter. And, every year, I guilt myself into writing it.  Mostly, I think I end up putting my thoughts on paper so that our kids can have a written documentation that we actually did observe their childhoods. Matt and I say often, that we are “living the dream” and reflect on the tangible and intangibles that fill our lives.  We are always busy, and we choose that. My parents worry about us, that we are “too busy,” and wish that we would slow down. I think that sometimes, they forget that I have always chosen busy. Busy brings me joy, purpose, and inevitable challenges. Here is what our “busy” consisted of in 2015.
Gabe - 12
It’s been one of those –wherehasthetimegonehowismylittleguygottensobigihopehelovesusforever - type of years. G is in 6th grade, so I get to see him every day, as one of my students! He is a good friend to others and loves to read. Last winter he played basketball, coached by his dad, and followed with baseball in the summer, and football this past fall. He enjoyed summer Bible camp with his best bud and his brother. Gabe takes piano lessons, is a percussionist in the band, is a talented artist, and last spring was chosen to be part of a 4-5-6 boys all state choir.  He also loves watching sports with his dad and cracking jokes with his mom. Gabe bought his own bow this season and loves spending 1-1 time with Matt learning the finer points of hunting.
Ben - 10
Benjamin will always be his own person. He has a deep ability to care for others, while still daily annoying his sister. He is creative in a messy, dragon, 3D sort of way. He has a way with pop up books, stop motion videos, and enjoys drawing mutants to add to his collection. Ben loves imaginext and action figures and legos. He enjoyed playing Champion Basketball last winter and baseball this summer. He loves to read books about super heroes and magical creatures and most recently declared his love for Beverly Cleary and her chapter books. Ben started piano lessons last winter and can make a mean piece of toast.  


Lyndee – almost  9
We are getting a glimpse of the challenge of a strong willed, perfectionist daughter. Lyndee does her homework without being asked. If I sign my name to her homework messy or upside down, she erases it and makes me start over.  She loves her brothers and wishes she could marry Gabe. Lyndee loves to read, still cooks in her kitchen, and has numerous birthday parties for her babies.  Lyndee was forced by her mean parents to play basketball this winter (there are some things you HAVE to do in this family honey, and one of them is play basketball). She was also forced to do track and field camp (run by her mother), but did not play baseball or softball this summer. She wants to play piano soon, and she has a beautiful singing voice.


Matt
In his second year teaching at Century High School, Matt has settled in and his enjoying the chance to influence teenagers in positive ways.  I am so proud of the work that he does and the great role model he is to the young adults that he interacts with each day. He also is amazing at holding students accountable in and out of the classroom and communicates well with the parents of his students and his colleagues. As a Pine Island Track and Field coach for 19 years, Matt led an amazing team of athletes last spring to 3rd place in the State True Team Meet, and 3rd place in the MSHSL State Meet in June.  Two of the relay teams earned state championships and several school records were set. In addition to coaching, he loves the woods and hunting. He got several deer during shot gun season this year, but chose to spend his fall teaching Gabe about bow hunting instead of shooting his own bow.


Amy
My house is messy. All. The. Time. It bothers me, but apparently not enough to really do anything about it. Laundry from 5 people paralyzes me and sometimes, I just buy more socks instead of pairing the ones that are already clean. I tell my students and my athletes that I am a lot of things, but perfect is not one of them. I am perfect in my imperfection. It’s a good thing my family loves me anyway. Love drives what I do. My family is first, although sometimes they fail to recognize that meals and clean underwear are one way I show my love for them. I adore the ages of my kiddos right now – their conversation, imagination, and humor makes me grateful. My job teaching 6th graders makes me smile, challenges me, and gives me purpose. Not many can say they are passionate about their jobs. Count me among those lucky few. I coached Cross Country this fall for the 8th year and loved each minute. And, I assisted Matt with the track and field team and loved most moments. ☺ When your husband is a demanding head coach, you sometimes have your differences.


Family
Matt and I trained for, and completed our first marathon. It was painful for sure, and by far the toughest physical/mental thing we have ever done.  It was great to experience it all with Seth and Kaela and their girls. We can’t wait for our next adventure with them. We also adventured out west this summer, right after the state track and field meet, with our good friends Ben and Lisa and their girls, to Big Sky, Montana. We hiked and rested and enjoyed the amazing scenery and conversations with good friends.  We spent some time at the lake and Matt enjoyed 6 vacations (wife of the year, I know). Fishing with Chris, WE Fest with Chris and Bree, Football in MD, Huskers/Vikes weekend, SEC weekend with Seth, and hunting weekend with friends. Me? Well, I did travel to Kentucky for my nephew’s graduation AND I went to Target alone a few times!


Pets
We have some sort of predisposition to having dogs who are each just a bit quirky.  Dash – is 4 years old with a wanderlust and a short attention span. He’s sweet, huge, and is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Tucker – our Craigslist purchase – is 3 years old also with a wanderlust and a devious streak. He fiercely defends his daily IAMS (dog food) kill and runs away whenever he gets the chance.  Mia - Ben’s tortoise is alive and well despite a near smoldering from a light that fell into her dwelling. Russell – sadly Gabe’s gerbil went to the great running wheel in the sky after a short 16 months as a Northrop. It was a tragic funeral as gerbils are supposed to live a few months longer.  And now, introducing Wrigley. Wrigley found us at the lake.  He is a yellow lab of unknown origin and unknown age.  He is a lovely boy with a habit of barking at any noise outside and whining when we are in his spot on the couch.  And, even though Matt mentioned getting another iguana just tonight, we are “never, ever, ever, getting another reptile.”


Peace to you. May your homes and lives be messy, for it is in the messy that we find the grace and the life we were meant to live. Merry Christmas!


Love,
Matt and Amy
Gabe, Ben, and Lyndee
Dash, Tucker, Wrigley, & Mia

No comments: