Kiddos 2014

Kiddos 2014

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Things I Know About Myself

As we grow older, I think we become a little bit more introspective and always are trying to "know" ourselves. Some of it is mumbo jumbo from the women's self help section at Barnes and Noble and some of it is probably true. Did you ever notice that the women's self help section is much larger than the men's? Men and introspective isn't something that usually go together. But, I digress. Here are some random things in my life that you may or may not know.

I drink too much diet coke.
I love junk food, and fast food, and sweets, and salty things and I think chocolate should be its own food group.
I wish I was better at playing with my kids.
I am so thankful that I have a daughter.
I am also thankful that I have two sons, but my daughter feels like she will always be a part of me, while I know my sons will belong to someone else.
I am really bad at remembering birthdays, even with my facebook birthday reminders and my card organizer with cards already addressed and stamped.
I yell at my children when I am frustrated.In fact, I've yelled more at my children in the last two years than I yelled at my students over 13 years of teaching.
I've spanked my two boys but never my daughter.
The Christmas or birthday presents I have to mail are always late.
I stay up too late but wish I could be a morning person. I know I would get so much more done.
I miss being a competitive athlete.
I think I'm good at the motivational, mental part of coaching basketball, but often feel lacking in the nuts and bolts of the game. I'd probably be better if I was willing to devote more time to it. But, family and self-preservation come first.
Most people would never know that I often feel insecure.
I love words of affirmation from anyone.
I worry about my house being not clean or organized enough to please others in my life.
I can't go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink.
The vacuum is my friend. So is the dishwasher.
I love to write, it makes me feel smart. I wish I was disciplined enough to do it every day.
I don't read as often as I should.
I hate conflict and can't stand negative energy around me.
I wish I was smarter about politics and world, heck, even local issues, but again, not motivated enough to become more informed.
I often wonder if I had cancer or was faced with something life threatening, would I be the fighter, or the one who throws in the towel.
I am not an activist for anything.
I don't like to cook and am not creative in that sense at all.
I think I am a good daughter, wife,and friend and often put others needs above my own.
I am a loyal and true friend.
I will tell you if I think you are wrong about something.
My kids will always know how very much I love them.
I am amazed at the individuality of my children and hope to foster confidence in them that I lack.
I am intuitive about other people's emotions and can often see both sides of difficulties in relationships.
I think that I am wise in some areas of my life, and horribly lacking in others.
I have learned more about myself in the last two years of my life, than all 36 years before put together.

So, self help book this is not, but I feel better! And now, even though it's 10:30, I think I'll crack a diet coke, eat some chocolate chip cookies, and watch some horrible reality show.

2 comments:

Grammie said...

Amy Lyn,

You are beautiful, competent, have an awesome personality and disposition, are a professional and caring teacher to young ones, a great half of a relationship-couple, my favorite daughter, and one of the very best moms I have ever had the pleasure to know. I read somewhere (significant) that our purpose as parents is to bring forth/raise children better than ourselves. Something to ponder. . . But, just so you know, one of my most important gratitudes is that I live in the city with my daughter and family, and I can see her and hug her and kiss her whenever I want!
ILY,
Mom

Kaela said...

you are a fantastic mom. you do so much with and for your kids and create awesome experiences and space to learn and grow for them. your home is amazingly clean and awesome-looking for any Mom of 3! i never would have guessed you felt insecure because you always seem so confident and are so wise!