Kiddos 2014

Kiddos 2014

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Mt. St. Helen's x 2

I realized after I made my blog public yesterday, that I have to be a LITTLE bit careful about what I say and who I write about! :) I promise to portray all of you family members (and friends who feel like family members) in a glowing light and only show the flaws of myself and my off spring!

On to today. Without the two major eruptions that occurred, it was a very well managed day! It started with three alarm clock snoozes. After the last one, my husband flung himself on my side of the bed and muttered, "Get out," in a not so nice way. Had it been my son, I would have continued yesterday's lesson and said, "I'm sorry, but I think I just heard someone speak in a rude way to me." Just kidding honey. I did manage to make it out without waking up any of the three sleeping beauties and hit the pavement. It was another good way to start my morning.

Bagel Wednesday became cereal Wednesday when the boys decided not to eat their cinnamon raisin bagels. And my good intentions of making my fruit/veggie/yogurt/flaxseed smoothie disappeared when I saw the Fruit Loops and Captain Crunch. It was a beautiful morning so we played outside for a while, had some chocolate chip cookies and then we headed to the bank, a quick stop at a friend's, and the athletic club.

The boys had a blast at the club. They jumped on the mini trampolines, designed for trampoline basketball, and Lyndee in the front carrier, was totally enthralled watching them. From there, it was on to the big toy or indoor jungle gym, where for the first time this week they played together without an argument. Finally we went to the preschool play area and they played hard. When, after 20 minutes, I saw their red, sweaty faces and damp hair, I decided it was time to go. I tried to follow the parent rules of giving them a countdown. Ten minutes, five minutes, one minute and let's put our shoes on. Gabe put his on after a short whining episode and I finally wrestled Ben's crocs on him. He cried until I said we could get a drink downstairs. As we walked out of the preschool play area I said to myself, "Ha, and Matt thought it was hard to get them to leave. I've won, I've made it."

Until Ben spotted the golf clubs.

"Want ball."

"No, not now, we're getting a drink and going home."

"NO, want to goff."

"No, not now, we're getting a drink and going home."

"NO, NO WANT TO GO HOME."

I finally pried the ball out of his hands, and tried to get the club out of his hands while still holding Lyndee. I gave up and just dragged him and the club over to the club tub. I'm sure people thought I was a little ruthless. I prefer to think of it as efficient.

Screaming ensued. Crying ensued. Tense smiles, apologetic smiles from me to the other club members around us. The screaming and crying was not from me, however, that was Ben. And Gabe said, "Mommy, I'm being good. Look, I'll carry your purse." Not an easy task since my purse is actually a small suitcase that I think still looks cool because it is leopard print. Finally, I had to put Lyndee back in the front carrier, hold Ben like a battering ram (a kicking and screaming battering ram) and follow my leopard print bag toting four year old son out of the club. Never did the walk to the van seem so long. I got many looks. Some sympathetic, some empathetic, some just plain pathetic. We managed to get in the van in one piece.

"Tell Mommy you're sorry."

"NO!"

"Tell Mommy you're sorry or you go to time out when we get home."

"NO!"

"Okay, time out when we get home."

"NO!"

Well, thankfully the drive is short. Time out occurred at home.

"Sorry Mommy."

End of Volcanic Eruption Number One.

Then on to lunch time. And nap time. And Laundry time. And reading time with Gabe. And outside time with Gabe. And a pleasant peaceful afternoon. And a fairly peaceful evening.

Remember the new McDonald's from yesterday? It's Happy Donald's at our house. Well, it was ice cream specials tonight. So, we had bath time for all three kids, got jammies on and drove to McDonald's for our cones and shakes. Yesterday I lost a baby toy and so at the first drive thru window I asked if they had a lost and found. "Ummmm...I don't know, ask at the next window." So I ask at the next window. The fifteen year old worker in his McDonald's uniform and hat looked at me and said, "Ummmm...I don't work here. They just called me in to work tonight." Okaaay, you don't work here but you have the uniform and you just took my money and gave me ice cream in return. I was a little confused. He said he would check anyway and the next worker said, "Was it one of our toys?" I have 12,000 happy meal toys. Do you really think I would care if I lost ONE? Unfortunately, after all that, still no baby toy. I guess Lyndee will survive.

On to Volcanic Eruption Number Two.

We stopped at a friend's on the way home. It was perfectly clear that we were not all getting out of the car. That would add at least 30 minutes to a stop that was supposed to be 3 minutes. Gabe was mad we were not getting out. Without getting into everything, let me just tell you that the poor kid's throat will probably be sore tomorrow from the high pitched screaming that he did for about 15 minutes. When I planned this little outing, I did imagine a beautiful sunset on a rural road on a cool fall night. However, I didn't imagine that I would be seeing it outside of my van on a rural road while supervising a four year old's time out. Time out successful, until I wouldn't let him stay outside and pick up rocks. (Oh the enticement of a rural road). So he continued to scream all the way home, probably damaging my ear drum in the process. Once he got home and was carried to his bed, still screaming, he managed to settle down once he drank some milk. Mommy and Daddy got their apologies. When Ben saw him after his time out, he said, "Oh, hi Gape," and gave him a kiss and went good night. It was almost like he remembered his tantrum from earlier in the day. Gabe and I sat on the couch while Daddy went down to play xbox and I said, "I think you made it hard for me to hear with all your screaming. I don't think I can hear as well as I did before. Now you need to go potty before bed."

He must have been pondering all the while he was gone, because he came back and whispered, "I love you, Mommy."

"I love you, too, Gabe."

"See Mommy, you can still hear fine."

Oh yes, I guess I can. Apology accepted.

1 comment:

Kaela said...

Wow! How do you make it through days like this??? You are amazing!