Kiddos 2014

Kiddos 2014

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Garage Sales, Packing, and a Road Trip

Another beautiful morning. I'm starting to appreciate the early peacefulness of mornings vs. the latenight peacefulness of my post midnight life prior to the start of the school year. We got out of the house early to go garage sale shopping with Grammie. The kids were great. At one sale we stopped at there were numerous toys in a sled to look at. This occupied the kids so I could clothes shop for Lyndee. When I was ready to go, I told the boys that they could each pick out one toy from the sled to buy. I had to steer Ben away from a plastic Twins cup (I've successfully managed to rid my house of most of those "collector" items). He ended up choosing a rubber snake with a strangely missing tail. Gabe chose a light up bouncy sticky octopus squid like thing that was quite occupying for the rest of the morning.

Garage sales are a phenomenon that intrigue me to no end. Here, I'm going to put stuff I don't want in my driveway and garage, price them, and wait for you to dig through them and buy what you want of my cast offs. At some sales I'm like, "You don't want this anymore? Sweet! My gain!" At others I'm like, "Yeah, and you want a quarter for THAT?!" It always slays me when something is marked 10 cents and a buyer will say, "Take a nickel for this?" Ummm...no? I mean, it's only a dime!

I had a garage sale last Friday and the Friday before that. It was supposed to be a Friday/Saturday thing, but we had torrential rains and flooding on Saturday. So, I figured since it was already set up in the garage anyway, might as well try next week, too! It was fairly profitable for me and then none of it came back into my house so it feels great too. On the final day, I put a sticker on Gabe that said $1 and on Ben I put one that said, "Make Offer." No one bought the boys but I had several offers for cute little Lyndee.

My favorite purchase of the morning came at the end where I got an Old Navy sweater and pair of Gap jeans for myself. Seriously, I am the queen of bargains! You know those magazines where they put "affordable" outfits on models and then list prices like "Sweater - $90, Jeans - $120, Shoes - $80, Total for this great outfit - only $290!" They could put me in there with this caption "Gap Jeans - $1, Old Navy Sweater - $.50, Old Navy Flip Flops - $2, Total price - $3.50!" I love the hunt. Garage sales do kind of ruin me for the mall though, because later on I'll be thinking, "$29.99 for a pair of Gap jeans? Pshaw, I could get them for $1!"

After a successful day of shopping, we came home, had lunch and started packing for Nebraska. Gabe says, "Inbraska." It's one of those things we don't want to correct him about. That and "Happy Donald's." I called Matt and said I was packing the van and he could come home anytime. He came home while I was changing Lyndee's diaper and I told him he could change Ben's diaper and vacuum and we'd be ready to go. "What? I thought you said you were ready?"

"Well, I am except for those things, Oh and nursing the baby."

"Really, you want me to vacuum?"

Does he have to ask? I have this thing about coming home to a vacuumed house. Just one of my annoying idosyncrasies. Kind of like the use of a carpet rake for those of you who know my inlaws! I say that completely lovingly, too!

Just to appease me, my hubby did vacuum while I got the rest of us ready to go. We were packed, got some gas, and headed down the road. Sippy cups filled, diapers changed, DVD player in place, Diet Coke on hand. We had a great ride, mostly because the kids fell asleep right out of the gate and Matt and I had some quality converstation, and some opportunity to catch up on the latest Harry Potter book. I get to read them aloud as Matt drives. We've done that with all the books. The kids woke up just north of Des Moines and we stopped at Happy Donald's for a drive thru meal. It took 20 minutes in the drive thru, which would ordinarily annoy me. But it gave us a chance to go to the bathroom, change diapers and feed the baby. Oh and Gabe and I found 4 pennies!

The boys enjoyed the rest of the ride, we played I spy, read some books, and managed to only play the DVD player the last 45 minutes. Matt and I shared his Ipod to play name that tune. I'm terrible. He's the detail guy who remembers every play from every game, or one liners from movies, or statistics from any sporting event. I'm the big picture girl. Alas, I can sing the song (or the first few lines anyway) but have no idea of who sang it. He knows after the first few bars who sang it, on what album, what era, what genre, etc. etc. It can be fairly irritating to those of us who like to be right all the time!

Right or not, it was an enjoyable way to start the last weekend of our summer. Yep, it's true, Fall is upon us. Sniff, Sniff, Tear, Sigh......On to new horizons.

Like Super Target, Sonic, and Scheels. Man, I love Omaha!

No comments: